The Ripple Effect: From Traffic Jam to Life Change
Ripple Effects
Have you ever thought about how a small change can have such a big impact—and create a ripple effect? The idea of one drop of water hitting a smooth lake and sending ripples across the entire surface is a powerful image.
I experienced that ripple effect recently, though in a more negative way. While driving back from Boston after picking up my son from college, we encountered about a 10-minute backup on the interstate. It was clear from the emergency vehicles that there was an accident up ahead.
As we merged into the open lanes and passed the accident, I noticed something interesting on the other side of the highway. Traffic there was also backed up just as badly—but for no apparent reason. There was a wide median separating the two directions, so the accident itself had no direct impact on their lanes.
What we were witnessing was the ripple effect of “rubbernecking.” Drivers on the opposite side slowed down or tapped their brakes to see what had happened. That small action affected the driver behind them, and then the next, and so on. Before long, traffic on that side had slowed to a standstill for miles.
It’s entirely possible that by the time some of those drivers reached the area, the accident had already been cleared—and they had no idea why they had even slowed down in the first place. Not exactly the kind of ripple effect you want to be part of.
Recently, I decided to make a change in my own life—one that I hope will create a positive ripple effect. I realized I had been watching too much TV in the evenings, so I made a bold decision: I disconnected. I cancelled my home internet.
Yes, I know that might sound extreme to some, but I wanted to see what would happen. As a side note, I can still create a Wi-Fi hotspot on my phone when needed, so don’t worry—I’m not entirely in the dark ages.
So what do you do at night without the easy option of pressing a button and letting a mindless show take over? And if it runs long enough, another show starts, and the cycle repeats...
Well, I’m still early in this experiment, but I’m already seeing great results.
With my newfound time, I’ve been using Libby more and downloading some great books—both audio and digital. It’s helped me rediscover my love of learning and curiosity. I now find myself looking forward to the next chapter of a book instead of wondering what mindless show I might watch. I even get excited about searching for my next read.
Another unexpected benefit: I’ve found more time for cooking—which you may hear more about in future blogs.
The ripple effect I saw on the highway sparked a realization about creating positive ripple effects in my own life. My ripple may not be yours, but I encourage you to find what change could create that effect for you—and see where it leads.
I know I’m excited to see where mine goes.

Comments
Post a Comment